Iowa Basement Tapes blog
~ Thoughts and track lists from Kristian Day, host of the weekly program, Iowa Basement Tapes, which airs Thursday nights from 9-10 p.m. ~
(Most recent at the top of the page.)
Iowa Basement Tapes #2 - 7/12/2018
Night Listeners -
I return this week a heavier dose of tunes from the basement of our blessed heartland. Station manager Gary shared a Hawks LP with me that I am really digging. They were out of the Otho/Fort Dodge area back in the early 80s. They have a really catchy rock-pop vibe to them that always gives me an amazing sense of freedom. I also spent some time jamming The Des Moines 4 Track Compilation that Sump Pump Records put out back in 2014. I love this concept for a compilation. It wasn't just bands submitting tracks that were recorded on a 4 Track, Dan Hutchinson recorded every single artist using the same Tascam 414 MKII recorder.
Cedar Rapids/Iowa City music archivist Ben Smasher sent me some new tunes from experimental artist Deer Slayer along with a collection of tracks from the Des Moines band, Luxury. Ben runs the 319 Dude Bandcamp page which has an amazing selection of music from the Eastern Iowa music scene.
- Captain 3 Leg - "Silver Finger" / split with X-Ray Mary (Ottumwa)
- X-Ray Mary - "Fork Tongue" / split with Captain 3 Leg (Ottumwa)
- USAUSA - "Goodbye My Research, Goodbye" / USAUSA (Iowa City)
- Luxury - "Green Hearts" / Green Hearts 7" (Des Moines)
- Kyle Numann - "Equestrian Friends" / Ukulalia (Iowa City)
- Deer Slayer - "Phantom Sweeps" / Guitar Cryer (Cedar Rapids)
- Annalibera - "Black Cat, White Cat" / The Des Moines 4 Track Compilation Vol. 1 (Des Moines)
- Hawks - "Tonight Your Mine" / 30 Seconds Over Otho (Otho)
- Karen Meat & The Computer - "On The Couch" / On The Couch 7" (Des Moines)
- Full Fathom Five - "Why Their Faces So Worn" / The Iowa Compilation (Iowa City)
- Bankshot - "Skate All Night" / Bankshot EP (Davenport)
- Die Mutts - "Old Videos" (Des Moines)
- Mantis Pincers - "Black Capes On Blondes" / The Des Moines 4 Track Compilation Vol. 1 (Des Moines)
- Unisex - "Kool Aid & Crayons" (boombox) / Hold Your Breath... And Then Some (Ottumwa)
- Wolves In The Attic - "Last Call" / The Des Moines 4 Track Compilation Vol. 1 (Des Moines)
Iowa Basement Tapes #1 - 7/5/2018
Nearly ten years in the making and almost 20 years of collecting musical output from my home state of Iowa. It was 2010 when I first stepped into the studios of what was then 99.1 FM KFMG. A community-based radio station that at the time was broadcasting out of the top floor of the Hotel Fort Des Moines. I would park my car on 10th street and walk into the lobby that looked like it was straight out of the 1930s. I would take the elevator all the way up to the top floor which was almost like taking your life into your own hands. It would shake and slow down on floors that you weren’t planning on stopping at. I would come and do interviews with either Gary Monte or John Busbee. They were some of the few people that gave me an outlet to pitch what nonsense project I was involved in.
Here and now, 98.9 KFMG have opened their doors for me to produce a show that covers my obsession with Iowa made music. I went to my first show when I was 14 years old. It was at a place called Peabody’s over in the Quad Cities. During the day it was a hipster coffee shop but at night the back room would open for hardcore and punk shows. It changed my life. I felt like I was witnessing both a crime and a collective enlightenment. The band I saw was Provoke, a terrible metal whom I purchased a cassette of their LP. I remember walking outside and seeing my first DIY merch table full of 7″ records, zines, and demo tapes that were displayed inside of a propped open suitcase. This was music I couldn’t buy in a store. I wanted to find as much of this music as I could and keep in mind there was not an easy way to do this. You had to go to the shows to find them. Over the last 20 years, I have collected hundreds of records, tapes, and CDRs of bands that may have only lived for a short time. Although I have collected music from all over the world, I have really focused my attention on Iowa.
It goes against all my talk of minimalism and not having excess junk in your life, but if I ever find these types of releases out in the wild I have to acquire them.
PS. Gwar is playing at Woolies on July 14 and Provoke will never be played on my show.
IBT PLAYLIST #1
- Movable Feast – “End Of The World” / Self Titled 7″ (Des Moines)
- The Horrors – “Every Inch of My Love” / split with The PeesPees (Cedar Rapids)
- House Of Large Sizes – “What If There Is A Fire”/ One Big Cake (Cedar Falls)
- Larry Jensen – “I’m Moving On” / single 45RPM (Carlisle)
- The Huns -“24hrs To Vegas”/ Rednecks Under The Moonlight (Iowa City)
- The Hollowmen – “Never Ending Ceiling” / The Iowa Compilation (Des Moines)
- Deer Slayer – “Music Table 2” / Music Table (Cedar Rapids)
- Nicholas Naoti – excerpt from Watery Grave (Fairfield)
- DJ DJ Tanner – Excerpt of “Offprint” / Goon (Des Moines)
- Full Fathom Five – “4AM” / 4AM (Iowa City)
- Deep Sleep Waltzing – “Sky I Got To See” / Cloudpunks (Des Moines)
- Bottledog – “Rubber Bullet” / Another Product (Iowa City)
- Cursing Birds – “Popsy Sally” / The Iowa Compilation (Iowa City)
- Captain Three Leg – “Art Appreciation” / A Few Lixxx (Ottumwa)
DOWNLOAD BROADCAST #1 7-5-2018 on iTunes