Iowa Basement Tapes blog
Night Listeners of 98.9FM KFMG -
The Iowa State Fair is upon us and you would think that I would have made a playlist that had some correlation. Like maybe a playlist of bands from the all the different towns that have previously hosted the state fair (Des Moines, Fairfield, Muscatine, Oskaloosa, Iowa City, Dubuque, Burlington, Clinton, Keokuk). But I didn't. Instead, I have a 15-minute interview with one of Des Moines' longest running punk bands, Die Mutts!
Die Mutts have been active for 17 years. That's insane to think about. Broken Josh and Matt Mutt sat down with me at my home studio and we talked about they met at the now-closed gummi bear factory in Creston, Iowa along with the band's evolution over nearly two decades (this was a run on sentence). I feel like I need to print a t-shirt that says "Die Mutts, the drunk skater punk you can count on".
I also drop some tunes from the 5th Iowa Compilation, titled A Few Works After Drinks. This comp is available for free download from the quadcitiesmusicarchive.bandcamp.com. Don't you worry, I did find a place for some Deerslayer this week as well.
Happy State Fair!
Cheese curds & goat sticks
- Die Mutts - "Destroy You" / Old Videos (Des Moines)
- House of Large Sizes - "Tired of Feeling Good" / My Ass-Kicking Life (Cedar Falls)
- Love Songs For Lonely Monsters - / The Des Moines 4 Track Compilation (Des Moines)
- Made Ya Look - "The Dreamers" / It's Another Iowa Compilation - Uncharted Territories
- Otis - "Cranston" / A Few Works After Drink - Iowa Compilation Vol 5 (Davenport)
- Die Mutts - "Teenage Zombies" / Demo (Des Moines)
- Die Mutts - "Now We Skate" / Old Videos (Des Moines)
- Galleons Lap - "Lady Velvet" / Mystery (Quad Cities)
- Luxury - "Stupidest Thing" / Stupidest Thing (Des Moines)
- Tripmaster Money - "Straight From Atlantist" / A Few Works After Drink (Quad Cities)
- Deerslayer - "Music Table 7" / Music Table (Cedar Rapids)
- Ted Cutler - "Crawl" / t's Another Iowa Compilation - Uncharted Territories
I am back from Montreal and I have packed a fresh load of tunes for this evenings program. I stumbled upon a new (new to me) Bandcamp archive: quadcitiesmusicarchive.bandcamp.com. There is a little overlap from some of the stuff on the 319dude.bandcamp.com since technically they are the same area code but the majority of the material on here is exclusive to the archive. Some of the tunes I feature include The Afterdarks (rockabilly psychobilly), The Ballet (folk rock? I don't know), and Paper Children (90s skater pop punk). The Quad Cities will always hold a special place in my heart since I was born in Rock Island and lived there until I was almost 14 years old.
I also got to spend some time cruising on some 45rpm singles from back in the 60s and the 70s. Some of the material includes The Orphans and Al's Untouchables, both from Cedar Rapids. From Sioux City, I got dirtballs Sioux City Pete and Kidd Death. Of course, it wouldn't be an Iowa Basement Tapes show without tracks from Deerslayer or Captain Three Leg! I made a Deerslayer sandwich with a track from Stickdog in the middle. We close out with the instrumental rocker "Juke Box Boy" from C3L's A Few Lixx recording.
Next week I'll be joined by members of Des Moines' oldest punk band DIE MUTTS.
- Theme Music for Davenport's Junior Theater (Quad Cities)
- The Afterdarks - "No Good" / Rock N Roll Is Dead (Quad Cities)
- Sioux City Pete - "John The Revelator" / Necro Blues (Sioux City)
- The Contents Are - "Head Collect" / Four Each Other (Davenport)
- The Ballet - "The UAW Hall" / We Were Wild Buffalo (Quad Cities)
- The Horrors - "I Don't Need A Woman I Need A Nurse" / The Horrors (Cedar Rapids)
- The Orphans - "Without You" / Back From The Grave Vol. 10 (Cedar Rapids)
- Al's Untouchables -"Come On Baby and Stick Around" / The Dark Side (Cedar Rapids)
- Deerslayer - "Music Table 3" / Music Table (Cedar Rapids)
- Stickdog - "Evolution" / Human (Iowa City)
- Deerslayer - "Memory in a Bruise You Gave" / Guitar Cryer (Cedar Rapids)
- The Eclectics - "Big Tough Dreams" / It's Another Iowa Compilation (Cedar Falls)
- Paper Children - "Far Away Place" / Paper Children (Quad Cities)
- Kidd Death - "Junk Bound Ghost" / Lowbrow (Sioux Cities)
- Captain Three Leg - "Jukebox Boy" / A Few Lixx (Ottumwa)
July is coming to end! Coeds are moving back to college and towns like Iowa City, Ames, and Cedar Falls are slowly coming back to life. Tonight we open with my homeboy's SIRES and their song "My Everything" which just rips my face off every time I hear it. It's from their album Soul For Sale released on Station 1 Records back in 2016.
I pulled a few tracks from the first two Iowa Compilation LPs that South East Records put out back in the 80's. Listening to these two records is a good reminder that Iowan's have known how to shred for many decades. Snuck in some Deerslayer to tie the show together. I am going to try and get an interview with the mastermind behind this project, A. Stanley Groves who was also a member of Brazil, The PeePees, and Wheel The Fence.
Anyways, I am off to Montreal for a few weeks.
IBT Playlist #4
- SIRES - "My Everything" / Soul For Sale (Waterloo)
- Captain Three Leg - "257" / 356 (Ottumwa)
- The Wych Elm - "Ballad/Beat Combo" / Woodward (Des Moines)
- Stone Wakening - "A Thought"/ It's Another Iowa Compilation - Uncharted Territories (Cedar Falls)
- Luxury - "Bible School" / EP#1 (Des Moines)
- Deerslayer - "AZ Pink" / Infinite Island (Cedar Rapids)
- Mr. Nasti - "Caught Up in the Hype" / Mr. Nasti (Fairfield)
- 23 Lies - "A Pale Blue in the Muddy Grey" / It's Another Iowa Compilation - Uncharted Territories
- Hot Carl - "Now I Want To Be A Martyr" / It Hits the Sauce (Dubuque)
- House of Large Sizes - "One And A Half On A Hill" / The Iowa Compilation (Cedar Falls)
- The Huns " Sex Cannibal From Outer Space" / Rednecks Under The Moonlight (Iowa City)
- Tripmaster Monkey - "Valium" / Goodbye Race (Quad Cities)
- The Dangtrippers - "When Time Runs Out" / Days Between Stations (Iowa City)
We made it to week three. That's impressive at least to me. Tonight we played some tunes and we talked with John Huffman of The Autumn Project, Mantis Pincers, and Karen Meat. We discuss growing up in Fort Dodge back in the 90s as wells all of the music projects he has been involved in.
I recently discovered a super rad punk band that was around in Decorah in the late 70s called The Dogs. Discovering new music is always exciting, but discovering a band from a very small town in your home state that is several decades past their existence makes my head explode. I want to track down some of these guys and have them on the show.
Speaking of guests on the show, John Huffman came on to talk about his introduction to DIY music back in Fort Dodge/Otho and what lead to the formations of both The Autumn Project and Mantis Pincers. Plus we end the show with a never before released track from a project John and his wife have called Pussy Willow.
IBT Playlist #3
- X-Ray Mary - "Vincent Price and His Zombie Girls" / Manzilla (Ottumwa)
- The Dogs - "Teen Slime" / Rot N Roll (Decorah)
- Emperor's Club - "Sham Sham" (Iowa City)
- Head Candy - "Mesmerized" / A Few Works After Drinks Comp. Vol 5 (Quad Cities)
- The Brown Note - "Set Sail" / Better Than Music (Cedar Rapids)
- David Hearn - "Forgotten Road" / Forgotten Road (Fort Dodge)
- The Autumn Project - "Four" / La Luna De Negra (Des Moines/Fort Dodge)
- The Autumn Project - "Song One" / This We Take With Us (Des Moines/Fort Dodge)
- Mantis Pincers - "Dracula's Casserole" / Mantis Pincers (Des Moines)
- Mantis Pinchers - "Berlin" / Mantis Pincers (Des Moines)
- Pussy Willow - "Untitled" (Des Moines)
I return this week a heavier dose of tunes from the basement of our blessed heartland. Station manager Gary shared a Hawks LP with me that I am really digging. They were out of the Otho/Fort Dodge area back in the early 80s. They have a really catchy rock-pop vibe to them that always gives me an amazing sense of freedom. I also spent some time jamming The Des Moines 4 Track Compilation that Sump Pump Records put out back in 2014. I love this concept for a compilation. It wasn't just bands submitting tracks that were recorded on a 4 Track, Dan Hutchinson recorded every single artist using the same Tascam 414 MKII recorder.
Cedar Rapids/Iowa City music archivist Ben Smasher sent me some new tunes from experimental artist Deer Slayer along with a collection of tracks from the Des Moines band, Luxury. Ben runs the 319 Dude Bandcamp page which has an amazing selection of music from the Eastern Iowa music scene.
- Captain 3 Leg - "Silver Finger" / split with X-Ray Mary (Ottumwa)
- X-Ray Mary - "Fork Tongue" / split with Captain 3 Leg (Ottumwa)
- USAUSA - "Goodbye My Research, Goodbye" / USAUSA (Iowa City)
- Luxury - "Green Hearts" / Green Hearts 7" (Des Moines)
- Kyle Numann - "Equestrian Friends" / Ukulalia (Iowa City)
- Deer Slayer - "Phantom Sweeps" / Guitar Cryer (Cedar Rapids)
- Annalibera - "Black Cat, White Cat" / The Des Moines 4 Track Compilation Vol. 1 (Des Moines)
- Hawks - "Tonight Your Mine" / 30 Seconds Over Otho (Otho)
- Karen Meat & The Computer - "On The Couch" / On The Couch 7" (Des Moines)
- Full Fathom Five - "Why Their Faces So Worn" / The Iowa Compilation (Iowa City)
- Bankshot - "Skate All Night" / Bankshot EP (Davenport)
- Die Mutts - "Old Videos" (Des Moines)
- Mantis Pincers - "Black Capes On Blondes" / The Des Moines 4 Track Compilation Vol. 1 (Des Moines)
- Unisex - "Kool Aid & Crayons" (boombox) / Hold Your Breath... And Then Some (Ottumwa)
- Wolves In The Attic - "Last Call" / The Des Moines 4 Track Compilation Vol. 1 (Des Moines)